Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pulp Non-Fiction

Caveat: The intention is not to malign the already infamous (for all the exaggerated reasons) green state. Let me assure you that it's not the way of life out here. It was an exception rather than the rule.

Heads Up: Many will find it hard to believe. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn! It was a near-death experience for a split second for me. If this doesn't go on the blog, nothing ever does.

The longest minute of my life

Chapter 1. The backdrop.

It was 6.30pm and it was dark already. On my Apache, I saw two goods trucks moving parallely straight ahead in the left lane. The lane was blocked and there was not more than three feet of space between them. Honking, I manoevered my black babe through the space to overtake them both.

There they were. We call them 'tribals' - the adivasis. Yes, we are a tribal state and are proud to be one. But what happened today challenged those notions to the core.

Chapter 2. Jai Jharkhand.

There were Nagadas and they were dancing to their beats with traditional weapons - bows and arrows, thick bamboo sticks and other wooden ones - their ancestors used for their defence. The bike overtook a few and they shouted their guts out. There were abuses hurled and directions screamed - to block our way - from the ones behind to the ones ahead.

All I could hear from inside the helmet was "Kahan", "Nikal" and the choicest expletives. I knew at once I had made a horrible mistake.

Someone slapped my helmet real bad. Jhannnnnnnnnn!!! My hearing got impaired for a split second.

Chapter 3. Fear.

It was a long time since I was slapped this bad. Last time I recollect getting a blow this hard was my second year of engineering. I didn't have a helmet then. Today even the helmet couldn't suffice. Chills went down my spine along with the vibrations that followed. The helmet almost came off my head, blocking my vision. The bike lost the balance. Engine ignition still on for a while, it fell down with my right leg slightly trapped underneath.

If there exists a feeling called 'fear' - this was it, for the first time in my life.

All of them, a motley bunch of around 50 fanatics, came onto me from all the directions. The one in the blue (probably) shirt about six feet away was the deadliest. He snatched something lethal from the guy next to him and rushed towards me.

Chapter 4. The second one.

It was a three-feet, realllly thick weapon that seemed like wooden sword - only three times the normal girth.

"Bhaiya, bas nikal raha hun...pata nahi tha..."
"...pata nahi tha, bhaiya..."
"Chhod dijiye bhaiya...please bhaiya...bhaag raha hun..."

I was apologising non-stop - for the apparent sin I had committed. And there it was - the second blow...from behind!!

Chapter 5. THE Experience.

Directly on the back of my head, on the portion without the helmet, it was painful. Fat gayi thi!!

Had it been some other moment I would have given up. But something miraculous took over me. Something. The leg that was seemingly trapped under the bike, gathered courage from nowhere. I caught hold of the bike and stood up. Pressing the self-start button, I started fleeing away when the blue-shirt-guy took a shot with that insanely huge and dangerous weapon on the headlight. Instinctively, I turned the axle of the handle, shifted gears and acclerated. It was as close a shave as one can imagine.

I felt something pointed on back of my shoulders. I was pretty sure it was an arrow's tip. I thought I wouldn't be able to escape. Something really ugly was going to happen. I even thought - that very fraction of a second - that this was it...this was IT!!!

Chapter 6. The Discovery.

I turned around. I didn't see his face. All I saw was a pointed wooden stick - a really long one - whose one end was excruciatingly sharp and the other - lot thicker - was around four feet away (again, probably!) in his hand. It wasn't an arrow for sure but it hurt bad! I acclerated as much as I could.

I fled and the excellent shock absorbers helped through the rocky path. All psyched up, I covered some fifty metres when I turned back. I discovered something. Gaurav, my pillion rider all this time, was not there!!!!!

Fuck!!!!!

Chapter 7. The climax.

No expression in this world can ever describe that feeling! It was the worst moment of my life. I was stunned! I had to go back!

I took a U-turn. Believe me when I say this: Fifty years down the line, if I shall be proud of myself for anything, it will be for having done this. I was on the verge of peeing in my pants a few seconds back, figuratively, of course. But there was no time to think. The next few seconds brought to my mind all the shit in this world. I imagined everything that could happen to both of us. But I kept on moving. I wouldn't have forgiven myself if I had chickened out then.

And there he was, trying to call me up on his cellphone, safe and secure! He had got off the bike the moment it fell and had the presence of mind enough to get out of the scene. The biggest 'phew!!!!!' ever! Thank you, God! I love you!

31 comments:

  1. Heck, you do lead an adventurous life, Mr. VKG! When was this? And where?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!! when did this happen? heavens sake u r fit n fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fanatics... Tough to imagine even how terrorizing it would have been.. Chalo.. Finally, Aal is well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sumit: not by choice, sir!
    @ ankit and gurdit: today 6.30...it was gaurav chowdhary...gmc.
    @ vimarsh: it sure was man! but ya, god's grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. O my Gosh. Brave man, you. Take care, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will it be the right time to say I just love your writing? [:P]

    Dude, take care and praise the lord you are safe.

    Suggestion - Make this Pulp "Fiction". Thoda aur masala daal and get it published. [:D]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have dropped dead the moment I was surrounded or coming to think of it now, I think it would have taken just one of them to scare the shit out of me! :D

    Brave man! And to go back to get your friend, w-o-w! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ akshhar: :)
    @ sapna: lol! there's never a wrong time to compliment!! Praise the lord!
    @ nandita: When we are surrounded, we fight for our survival! That's evolution! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was there police around?

    Thank heavens everything turned out to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kab hua ye sab bro? r u fine nw?
    tk cr of urself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. arre bach ke reh yaar... waise tu to wahi rehta hai... humlogo ne sine-die ke time pe dekha tha ki kitna dangerous ho jate hai localite... thank God sab thik hai... waise ye bata kaha enter kar liya tha.. kuch festivity chal raha tha kya unka

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Shyam Sir: Nope :)
    @ jas: kal shaam ki baat hia...sab changa abhi...:)
    @ ankesh: ya...dunno...but the place where it happened on the road was very near to their place of worship..might be they were returning after a ritual...

    ReplyDelete
  13. abe sale pange kyu leta rehta hai sabse? baal baal bacha hai...... kabhi lagwaeya apnee.....

    par maja bahut aya parh ke...... kya likha hai bapu....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude, prasad chadhao. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading itself is so scary..I just can't imagine the rest.

    Meri taraf se bi,
    Thank you Godji :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Shahenshah: bhai main khud nahi leta pangey...ye duniya hi aisi hai...:)
    @ ishita: jo agya...:)
    @ dipa: If reading was scary...mission accomplished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. saale, how far from XL is the place where it all happened? very tough to imagine..but, nevertheless, thank god ur fine n safe..

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ sfs: haan bhai...bahot maza aaya...in hindsight...it was an adventure indeed!!!

    @ sri14manu: 15-20 kms man...:) interesting name btw!

    ReplyDelete
  19. take good care of yourself now and consider yourself lucky. and be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. BADA ADVENTURE. US VAKT TO FAT LI HOGEE BETE.

    GOOD YOU ARE SAFE.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ nila: sure thing! :)
    @ sfs: fati toh thi bhai...par abhi hindsight mein toh adventure lagta hi hai...:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shit happens, dude. Thank your stars you will for sure, thank those blessings that you have.

    And I must admit I was a bit scared reading. Kudoz.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ya man...i sure seem to have lots f them :)

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. By the end, my mouth was dry .. and i agree to a couple of people above, awesome-ly written

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bhai, unbelievably spooky. Masto bacha hai tu. chal, take care ab.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Crap!!!!!!!!!! I have no clue wat to write...bilkul movie type hai.....

    you are safe and sound.....dat is what matters...

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ dharmarajan and prajakta: it was some real shit indeed!! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. looks like a scene from the south movies-one hero and 100 villains,magar the worst part , ladki kahaan hai??????
    :-P
    anyways Happys Endings.

    ReplyDelete
  29. lol! arre apna gaurav tha na...usey hi samajh lo!

    ReplyDelete

If you know what a comment is worth to a blogger, do not spend the rest of your life in guilt!