Monday, November 16, 2009

Oh! If only I can!

Chapter 1: JLT, Wet Night, Inglourious Basterds

There's a few feet wide path that separates the Father Enright Men's Residence from the JLT - Just Like That. It refers to the lush green lawn and the area surrounding it. Its the heart of XL - the sacrosanct place that holds a special place in every XLer's heart.


JLT

Its a Wet Night tonight at JLT. It refers to an inseparable part of XL culture. We booze and dance all night long. But this wet night is different. It was preceded by a Bodhi Tree performance (JLT again!). It rocked in patches. There was the God on drums. The national anthem on electric guitars literally gave me goosebumps. But I wasn't in the mood for the most part. I don't know what I was thinking. I wasn't myself. I wasn't me.

I have decided to give this Wet Night a miss. A Bishu-Da egg roll, a Mongini's Keyk, a smoke and Inglourious Basterds. It was screened yesterday (JLT, again!) but I had to leave it midway. So I finish off with it today. Kilasik!!! I bow to thee, Lord Quintin Tarantinou!

Chapter 2: Crap!

I go out to brush my teeth. Its 4 am. Coming back, I realize I've been locked outside thanks to the electronic lock. The looooong quest for the Bahadur bhaiya begins. He holds the key to the sacred land of Room No. 406; and he's always at the last place you look. In this case, I walk for around a kilometre to find him a ten feet from the hostel! But the walk's a much needed one. I reflect a lot.

Chapter 3: Reflections!

Ensemble, our fest had gotten over today and the chief guest for the closing ceremony was the former billiards world champ Michael Ferreira. Speaking on the theme of "Integrity and Initiative", the instances that he narrated from his life shook me from within.

There was nothing new. Zilch. But somehow he managed to make me realize that even someone like me who prided himself for not resigning to the sorry state of affairs had actually done the same. Its too easy to scribble here on the blogosphere, condemning the modern day demons like Koda. But what have I done to deserve the right to comment under the aegis of free expression?

An MBA followed by an exhausting job. That's what my life is going to be. An "executive" - hitting the treadmill in the morning to control the blood pressure and cholesterol levels from skyrocketing; rushy breakfasts; projects after projects; brands after brands; promotions; parties; politics; sleeping pills - with a debilitated personal life. I'll swear at the bureaucracy whenever the projects hit roadblocks and then un-hopefully leverage the same to my advantage at other times.

Chapter 4: Oh! If only I can!

But I'll make a difference. At an infinitesimal, individual level. I will stay true to my core values and be the same person I am today. I wont let my morals to go rot for materialistic one-upmanship. I'll stop when the signal is red regardless of the absence of khaki. I'll refuse to bend the system by finding legal but unethical loopholes. I won't bribe - even under the direst circumstances. I will search for dustbins. I will vote.

Oh! If only I can!

Michael Ferreira says that if you can change just one person by your upright behaviour, your work is done. Fingers crossed.

11 comments:

  1. Wish u all d luck and courage in your new resolution ... Dude u r choosing d rough path for yourself... wish u succeed.. I am trying to practice it myself.. but more often dan not I failed and took d obvious and usual easy route.. but still not given up.. hope u succeed at every front.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will search for dustbins haha...thats nice.

    One person can make all the difference and u will :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ ankesh and dipa: i guess i do :)

    @ ankesh: hota hai hota hai...we jus gotta weed out those occasional lapses in integrity and will power...india will be a much better place to live in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to not be another rat in the rat race. I think life will be good for me if I have enough money to spend on the things that really matter, and have enough time to spend on the things that I love.

    Something tells me that my priorities might shift once I start having more responsibilities on me...such as a family and kids, etc. And yeah, I certainly do want kids at some point of time. :D

    Maybe if I find a partner who doesn't care much for money, it might help, though. Heh...castles in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep on building these castles dude...u never know your life turns out to be of meaning...unlike the rest (me excluded, hopefully) of the rodents...

    MBA does give you a perspective...of life u do not want...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "MBA does give you a perspective...of life u do not want"...nice one....I'll find my perspective too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gud one!!... frnds be an entrepreneur and u will make a difference. MBA at XL gives u the chance to do that... dont see jobs as an end of MBA... think on these perspectives and u will surely be enlightened... heavy words...aint :P :D.. bt try it

    ReplyDelete
  8. thoughtful post.. n thinking makes you "I wasn't myself. I wasn't me" types.. so dont do a lot of it[:P] .. btw..u have always been thoughtful n inherently gud..i think NOTHING can change that gudness in u .. u need no resolution.. u will remain like this coz u r truly like this..i wish u lead a life as u want..perfectly perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ romi: :)
    @ jas: u will...m sure :)
    @ ankit: true man...but needs a hell lot of will power...thnxx fr the appreciation :)

    @ devil: thnx sweetie :) ur the only one in this big bad world who understands me...i just hope all dis hpps to be true :) n yes..i'll curb the "thinking"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. proud of you...love the post! :)
    -Akriti

    ReplyDelete

If you know what a comment is worth to a blogger, do not spend the rest of your life in guilt!